One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An upper deck of a ship or other vessel.
- ‘The Newcastle and Leander were a good match in size and, as they had fully gunned spar decks, were more heavily armed.’
- ‘Trinidad's uppermost ‘gun deck’ are classified as spar decks, by virtue of being a ‘fill-in’ between the forecastle and quarter decks.’
- ‘Additional bridges, work platforms, spar decks and extra fuelling connections were all added to the tankers with the latter being added to the warships as well.’
- ‘She was on the spar deck, wrapped securely in her coat.’
- ‘The spar decks allowed the United States frigates to mount a full second gun deck, making them effectively fast two-deckers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.