A buoy made of a spar with one end moored so that the other stands up.
- ‘A combination of yellow spar buoys and black spherical buoys mark the navigable channel which leads between the pearl farm and Slug Island across Talbot Bay to the Horizontal Waterfalls.’
- ‘The unlighted spar buoys are placed in line with the beacons and gas buoys and midway between them.’
- ‘The spar buoy net pens may also be arranged in systems of nets that use one or more spar buoys in common.’
- ‘Even in choppy waters, the spar buoy type float will dampen motions and will not jerk or slam like a flat tyre-type buoy.’
- ‘He measures the tension on the anchor lines, and the velocity of the spar buoys.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.