One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period of physical activity engaged in by an astronaut in space outside a spacecraft.
- ‘Commander Usachev has spent a total of 376 days in space and performed six spacewalks during two missions to the Russian Mir space station.’
- ‘The device is unique in that it reduces the static charge in a self-regulating manner and allows astronauts to safely conduct spacewalks on and around the structure of the International Space Station.’
- ‘And now tomorrow morning, 4:44 a.m., two of the shuttle astronauts will begin the first of three spacewalks.’
- ‘The antenna will support Russian video transmission during Russian spacewalks, and during normal operations will support amateur radio activities.’
- ‘During the expedition, Voss conducted spacewalks in both U.S. and Russian space suits, and he was the first person to operate the Space Station Robotic Manipulator System.’
- ‘Barry is a veteran of three Space Shuttle flights and four spacewalks.’
- ‘During these storms, astronauts are advised to reduce exposure, particularly during spacewalks.’
- ‘He is expected to carry out several spacewalks to attach new segments to the Space Station's truss sections.’
- ‘A Russian cosmonaut and an American astronaut are on a spacewalk outside the International Space Station.’
- ‘As I write two astronauts are on a spacewalk, trying to fix the problem and check for any sign of further damage.’
- ‘In 1965 he became to first man to go on a spacewalk, and he still follows events in spaceflight from the sidelines.’
- ‘For the year that it will be located outside of the ISS this experiment facility will be measuring the radiation doses that would be experienced by astronauts during spacewalks.’
- ‘The country also aims to have an astronaut performing a spacewalk during the planned Shenzhou VII mission and eventually put men on the moon.’
- ‘Hadfield is currently one of nine Canadian astronauts and the first Canadian to perform a spacewalk.’
- ‘A riskier-than-usual spacewalk outside the international space station was cut short because of a malfunction that left one of the two crewmen with a warm, damp suit.’
- ‘In its second year of occupancy, astronauts and cosmonauts have conducted 16 spacewalks for maintenance and assembly of the Station.’
- ‘Herrington had to re-plan the installation of components on the International Space Station during a spacewalk when it did not proceed as it did during testing.’
- ‘During one of three planned spacewalks on the Discovery, Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi and his US counterpart Stephen Robinson will test repair techniques adopted after the Columbia disaster.’
- ‘Steve Robinson and Soichi Noguchi will make three spacewalks outside the Shuttle.’
- ‘That's where astronauts practice extravehicular activities, more commonly known as spacewalks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.