One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period of physical activity engaged in by an astronaut in space outside a spacecraft.
- ‘A Russian cosmonaut and an American astronaut are on a spacewalk outside the International Space Station.’
- ‘Commander Usachev has spent a total of 376 days in space and performed six spacewalks during two missions to the Russian Mir space station.’
- ‘The country also aims to have an astronaut performing a spacewalk during the planned Shenzhou VII mission and eventually put men on the moon.’
- ‘Herrington had to re-plan the installation of components on the International Space Station during a spacewalk when it did not proceed as it did during testing.’
- ‘In 1965 he became to first man to go on a spacewalk, and he still follows events in spaceflight from the sidelines.’
- ‘Barry is a veteran of three Space Shuttle flights and four spacewalks.’
- ‘During the expedition, Voss conducted spacewalks in both U.S. and Russian space suits, and he was the first person to operate the Space Station Robotic Manipulator System.’
- ‘During these storms, astronauts are advised to reduce exposure, particularly during spacewalks.’
- ‘The device is unique in that it reduces the static charge in a self-regulating manner and allows astronauts to safely conduct spacewalks on and around the structure of the International Space Station.’
- ‘A riskier-than-usual spacewalk outside the international space station was cut short because of a malfunction that left one of the two crewmen with a warm, damp suit.’
- ‘Hadfield is currently one of nine Canadian astronauts and the first Canadian to perform a spacewalk.’
- ‘The antenna will support Russian video transmission during Russian spacewalks, and during normal operations will support amateur radio activities.’
- ‘As I write two astronauts are on a spacewalk, trying to fix the problem and check for any sign of further damage.’
- ‘That's where astronauts practice extravehicular activities, more commonly known as spacewalks.’
- ‘Steve Robinson and Soichi Noguchi will make three spacewalks outside the Shuttle.’
- ‘He is expected to carry out several spacewalks to attach new segments to the Space Station's truss sections.’
- ‘For the year that it will be located outside of the ISS this experiment facility will be measuring the radiation doses that would be experienced by astronauts during spacewalks.’
- ‘During one of three planned spacewalks on the Discovery, Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi and his US counterpart Stephen Robinson will test repair techniques adopted after the Columbia disaster.’
- ‘And now tomorrow morning, 4:44 a.m., two of the shuttle astronauts will begin the first of three spacewalks.’
- ‘In its second year of occupancy, astronauts and cosmonauts have conducted 16 spacewalks for maintenance and assembly of the Station.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.