One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment designed to allow an astronaut to survive in space.
- ‘They will discuss the reasons for and benefits of field testing, the challenges of communicating in space and the design of prototype spacesuits.’
- ‘In particular, they point out that the bright white spacesuits worn by the astronauts could have reflected light into regions of shadow.’
- ‘But a spacesuit is made basically of two suits that are joined together.’
- ‘Shortly after take-off, a television monitor inside the spaceship showed Tito in a white spacesuit decorated with an American flag on the shoulder and a Plexiglas helmet, grinning broadly.’
- ‘Without either a spacesuit on the moon, or heavy clothing and shelter in a midwinter Antarctic blizzard, the human body would rapidly succumb to the extreme conditions.’
- ‘This is an idea for a spacesuit that will allow astronauts to exercise while working in space.’
- ‘Inside the capsule, they donned bulky spacesuits and ensured the Soyuz was airtight before it undocked from the station.’
- ‘Then we will make our way to the launch site where we will put on and test our spacesuits.’
- ‘The spacewalkers are using Russan Orlan spacesuits.’
- ‘I had, I think, a slight advantage along with my crew, in that we just spent two days in the Soyuz, and we'd been in and out of our spacesuits several times.’
- ‘The crew aboard the International Space Station has slipped into spacesuits and floated out a hatch to begin a five-and-a-half hour spacewalk, the first since the men arrived at the outpost three months ago.’
- ‘A highlight of the exhibit will be an authentic spacesuit, on loan from NASA.’
- ‘This technology also is useful for astronauts in spacesuits who need to control tools in space.’
- ‘When most people think of space travel they typically think of rockets, spaceships, propulsion systems, spacesuits, and structures to ship to Moon or Mars colonies to live in.’
- ‘The job will set the stage to restore use of the airlock as a base for spacewalks using U.S. spacesuits.’
- ‘Several pieces of equipment had been damaged by the astronauts who were clumsy in their big spacesuits.’
- ‘He works with the extravehicular activity branch upgrading NASA's future spacesuits.’
- ‘To test the spacecraft and our spacesuits, we spent two days in Baikonur with a large group of engineers, trainers and officials.’
- ‘Set in the middle of the arctic wilds of northern Canada, the station included a mock airlock, space toilet and spacesuits for conducting experiments outside.’
- ‘The challenge of making such a movie, where all the action takes place on the lunar surface, is that the actors are hidden within their spacesuits, making it difficult to display emotion or even to communicate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.