Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action or activity of traveling in space.‘the complications in spacefaring’[as modifier] ‘spacefaring nations are racing to develop new technologies’
- ‘All spacefaring nations have implemented some level of supportive government policy.’
- ‘Only nine nations have ratified the treaty, none of which are major spacefaring nations.’
- ‘It may be many years before the true impact of 2004 on the development of a true spacefaring civilization is understood.’
- ‘As in other spacefaring nations, the question is often asked whether space exploration is worthwhile when there are contemporary terrestrial needs that must be addressed.’
- ‘Producing movies does not totally fulfill my desire to see us turn into a spacefaring civilization.’
- ‘While other spacefaring nations have promulgated their own standards for debris mitigation, there is, as of now, no international consensus position on this problem.’
- ‘Mars is the critical test that will determine whether we become a spacefaring species or whether we continue to be limited to Earth.’
- ‘In order to become a spacefaring race, people need to be taught what to hope for.’
- ‘Russia and the United States, and the world's other spacefaring nations, will be conducting complex and challenging space missions in decades to come.’
- ‘I am posting a $1,000 prize for the best article promoting human spacefaring that appeared in a print or web publication during this year.’
- ‘The National Space Society described the report as ‘a plan that will transform NASA and lead the way to a spacefaring civilization.’’
- ‘Today, to express a vision of a vigorous, spacefaring civilization, opening up the vast wealth of the solar system, is to invite ridicule and disbelieving laughter.’
- ‘However, we should not confuse the legitimate desire for a new spacefaring civilization with the equally legitimate goal of building return on investment.’
- ‘By the end of Project Apollo, in 1972, a total of twelve astronauts had walked on the lunar soil and returned safely to Earth, and the United States was well established as the dominant spacefaring nation.’
- ‘In order to preserve our advantage as the leading spacefaring nation, we must ensure that we have a strategy to guarantee availability of the most crucial element of space power - our space professionals.’
- ‘Both of the world's major spacefaring nations, the United States and Russia, have had close calls and catastrophes.’
- ‘The spacefaring brotherhood that now exists can be traced back to that handshake in orbit.’
- ‘If you could be President for a day, and make one space policy decision to advance humanity's transformation out of the cradle of Earth and into a spacefaring society, what would it be?’
- ‘Current U.S. space spending is an order of magnitude or more greater than the space spending of Russia, Europe, Japan, or China, the next tier of spacefaring countries.’
- ‘The United States and other major spacefaring nations have never signed, let alone ratified, the treaty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.