Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Conditions in the region of space close to the earth, especially the presence of electromagnetic radiation and charged particles emitted by the sun, that can affect human activity and technology.
- ‘These features are the dominant sources of disturbances in space weather that lead to geomagnetic storms.’
- ‘Variations in space weather are caused by solar activity, including solar flares.’
- ‘But as with all space weather, satellites and communication systems will be at risk of disruption or damage.’
- ‘The internal magnetic field of the Sun waxes and wanes on an 11-year cycle which affects the space weather.’
- ‘By knowing how auroras react to the solar wind, scientists can better determine the impacts of space weather in the future.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.