Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The seed of the soybean plant, used in a variety of foods and fodder, especially as a replacement for animal protein.
- ‘The big processors, he notes, use soybean to boost the protein content of baked goods, breakfast cereals, weaning foods, and dairy products.’
- ‘For meals between breakfast, lunch and dinner, she creates her own trail mix with dried fruit, roasted soybeans and a high-fiber cereal.’
- ‘Protein extracts of soybean and soymilk contain several different estrogen-like substances called isoflavones.’
- ‘In addition, they reported that nonGM wheat is replacing GM corn and soybeans in their food products.’
- ‘Common genetically altered foods are soybean, corn, canola and dairy products.’
- ‘The best sources of isoflavones are roasted soy nuts, soy flour, soy grits, textured soy protein, cooked soybeans, soymilk, tempeh and tofu.’
- ‘A new food product using soybeans is now being sold in Manitoba.’
- ‘Soy-based formulas contain the proteins found in soybeans rather than those found in cow's milk.’
- ‘From this domesticated version, the Chinese created the soya bean, which they used as a source of bean sprouts, milk, sauces, flour and cooking oil.’
- ‘Higher protein soybeans will produce higher protein meal, which would be desirable for feed.’
- ‘Those allergic to soybeans must avoid eating foods containing its proteins.’
- ‘Dr. Daniel makes a big mistake by thinking of soybeans, soy protein, and finished food products like tofu and soymilk as being one and the same.’
- ‘This technology can benefit the Ohio soybean industry by increasing the use of soybeans as a food product.’
- ‘Nielsen and Ritchie are focusing first on improving the oil and protein content of soybeans.’
- ‘Most corn and soybeans are fed to animals, so consumers likely eat meat and poultry from animals raised on GE feed.’
- ‘Despite the growing organic food business and protests of anti-G.M. food groups, Americans already eat lots of genetically modified food, mostly soybeans and corn.’
- ‘The pesticides under question are found in a variety of foods ranging from sugar to soybeans.’
- ‘Small amounts of plant sterols (they're also called phytosterols) occur naturally in pine trees and foods like soybeans, nuts, grains, and oils.’
- ‘GE corn and soybeans are fed to animals, so it's in our beef, our pork, our chicken and our milk.’
- ‘My question is, why use so many resources to grow soybeans to feed animals to feed people, when we could simply be eating these mild, nutty, nutritious beans directly?’
- 1.1A widely cultivated plant of the pea family which produces edible seeds.
- ‘As with many aspects of farming, planting soybeans into rye is still a process under development.’
- ‘In leguminous crops such as soybean, the seed coat also has a significant impact in the agricultural marketplace as a component or by-product of processed seeds.’
- ‘Thermotolerance acquisition and expression of heat shock proteins has also been found in the cultivated leguminous soybean.’
- ‘Initially a farmer interested in growing organic soybeans should contact a valid certifying organization.’
- ‘Growing organic soybeans requires more active marketing by the producer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.