Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The liquid obtained by suspending soybean flour in water, used as a fat-free substitute for milk, particularly by vegans and by those unable to tolerate milk products.
- ‘In a large mixing bowl, blend soy milk, water, 1/4 cup margarine, sugar, syrup, flour, and salt.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, soy milk, honey, almonds and canola oil.’
- ‘It's impossible to find decent soy yoghurt or soy milk without added sugar and all manner of other wacky extras.’
- ‘A glass of nonfat milk or soy milk isn't just a beverage; it's also a protein snack.’
- ‘Unlike other milk, soy milk contains no lactose, a substance that some people cannot digest.’
- ‘Fortified food sources of vitamin D include milk, soy milk, butter, margarine, and cereals.’
- ‘If you tend to have low blood sugar, have a little soy milk or yogurt to get your system started.’
- ‘There is no need to worry about protein if you are eating a varied vegetarian diet as it is easy to get protein from lentils, dal, beans, rice, soy milk, cereals and potatoes.’
- ‘He now eats oatmeal topped with raisins, peanut butter, and soy milk before his morning rides.’
- ‘I used an egg this time, but suspect soy milk would have been better.’
- ‘Milk, soy milk or milk powder may also be added to give the bubble tea a creamy texture.’
- ‘In fact, some people think some of the milk substitutes - like vanilla soy milk - taste better than regular cow's milk.’
- ‘The recent increase in cases of lactose intolerance in the west has in fact been due to parents not giving cows milk to their kids, instead opting for soy milk or other drinks.’
- ‘My favorite breakfast consists of a bowl of oatmeal, raisins, walnuts, fruit and soy milk.’
- ‘Consumption of products such as soy milk also rose as consumers sought ways of reducing levels of saturated fat and cholesterol in their diets.’
- ‘I had been starting my day with yogurt, soy milk and strawberry smoothies and taking in other allergens throughout the day.’
- ‘Some people have a genetic mutation that increases the amount of homocysteine their body produces so those people should probably switch to soy milk.’
- ‘Sometimes I forgot to add the soy milk and water.’
- ‘Unless you're allergic to milk or moralistically vegan, don't order soy milk!’
- ‘From soy turkey to soy milk, food manufacturers seem to be able to make just about anything from soybeans these days.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.