One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Toward the southwest.‘the governor sent two companies of foot soldiers southwestward’
- ‘The centre of Sinhalese and Buddhist civilization gradually shifted south-westwards, and political power was divided between a number of kingdoms.’
- ‘Populations from Scandinavia, the former Baltic States and north-west Russia head south-westwards towards this country.’
- ‘Furious denials are plentiful, but he may yet again have to turn its gaze south-westwards.’
- ‘If one starts at the terminal site at Bellanaboy, the initial stretch of the haul route is along the R314 south-westwards to the junction with the L1204.’
- ‘It may have been forgotten, given the comical levels of hype and expectation surrounding his move south-westwards, but there is still business to be done on the pitch.’
- ‘In June 1940, when the embassy fled south-westward, she took her family down to a boat for England and then turned back herself to help France.’
- ‘They mobilized the smaller gentry and the commons against the traditional, hostile nobles, beat the Comyns at Inverurie, then wheeled south-westwards and beat John of Lorne at Brander in the autumn of 1308.’
- ‘The area is drained by several major rivers: the Welland and the Nene which flow north-eastwards to the Wash; the Avon running south-westwards to join the Severn; and the Sence running north to join the Trent.’
Situated in, directed toward, or facing the southwest.‘the southwestward extension of the valley’
- ‘Serious British strategic interest in the Ottoman empire began in the late 18th century when it was hoped that the Turks would act as a barrier to Russia's southern and south-westward expansion.’
- ‘In this case sedimentation is dominated by an oceanic current, the south-westward flowing Agulhas Current that impinges on the shelf.’
- ‘Structurally, it is a south-westward extension of Scotland, separated by the North Channel of the Irish Sea.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.