One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A left-handed person, especially a boxer who leads with the right hand or a baseball pitcher.
- ‘Spinks is going to cause problems for any fighter he faces because of his southpaw stance and elusive style.’
- ‘Marvin Hagler was a great fighter who fought mainly as a southpaw, but was very effective switching to fighting right handed.’
- ‘Although Vabaza clearly retained his crown, Matumla never stopped trying and at times managed to land with his left hooks as he was also fighting from a southpaw stance.’
- ‘The southpaw challenger then began to find his range and landed a solid straight left and right hook as Harrison soaked it up and tried to counter with a right.’
- ‘Fighting from the left-handed southpaw stance, Magee's slashing left hands and jabs kept Hatton off balance for the majority of the opening stages.’
- ‘For the first four rounds, he fought from an orthodox stance as much as his more familiar southpaw stances.’
- ‘Hernandez, a southpaw from El Salvador is perhaps the better technical boxer.’
- ‘The Galway southpaw, a classy boxer, matched him in every department and came out a convincing points winner.’
- ‘He was taller than a lot of heavyweights and a southpaw to boot.’
- ‘He was a southpaw and left handed so I couldn't hit him with good shots.’
- ‘The southpaw boxer revealed that after carefully looking at his career following the defeat, he decided to hang up his gloves as he regarded it a mammoth task to relaunch his career without a steadfast promoter.’
- ‘They always thought I was a converted southpaw, because I was left handed.’
- ‘In the second round, Simms switched to a southpaw stance, which paid quick dividends.’
- ‘Bendigo is credited with inventing the southpaw stance in boxing.’
- ‘He was a converted southpaw; thus he favoured the left hand heavily.’
- ‘The 17-year-old struggled at first against his southpaw foe from Bulgaria and was a point ahead after round one.’
- ‘He was a southpaw from the Bronx who had his first professional fight in 1964.’
- ‘I have sparred with a bunch of different pure, elusive, fast little southpaws from super middleweight all the way down to a super lightweight in preparation for this fight.’
- ‘It was a rare boxing pairing of southpaws and perhaps an even rarer scenario in that Judah won a 12-round split decision after fighting nine rounds with a fractured left hand.’
- ‘His Sicilian opponent had never previously been stopped but one vicious uppercut unleashed from a southpaw stance had him seeing stars early on.’
Mid 19th century (denoting the left hand or a punch with the left hand): the usage in baseball is from the orientation of the diamond to the same points of the compass, causing the pitcher to have his left hand on the south side of his body.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.