1Distance traveled or measured southward, especially at sea.
- ‘Peter's been to the Faroes, we've been to the Orkneys and Iain, with various crew, has been making his southings down the West Coast visiting his old haunts.’
- 1.1 A figure or line representing southward distance on a map.
- ‘We've come to the exact co-ordinates given on the Internet, as a southing and an easting to the metre, to a spot out on a wall looking over Botany Bay with the clues that the cache is somewhere in this rockpile.’
- 1.2Astronomy The transit of a celestial object, especially the sun, across the meridian due south of the observer.
- 1.3Astronomy The angular distance of a star or other object south of the celestial equator.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.