One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of the south, especially of the southern US.
- ‘The tendency of southerners to outnumber northerners in the army continued to the outbreak of civil war.’
- ‘The irony is acute: while many young locals flee the Highlands, many southerners see the area as the promised land.’
- ‘Don't look at us - we're just a bunch of soft southerners.’
- ‘As it happened the group was fairly evenly divided between northerners and southerners.’
- ‘In the north people are rather more forthcoming, which southerners regard as being over-familiar and nosey.’
- ‘Some of the nine were native southerners; others grew up in politically radical families from the North.’
- ‘I'll give you southerners some credit on that front.’
- ‘I am a southerner, and southerners have a strong tradition of chivalry.’
- ‘Although they were diverse, two crucial factors distinguished these new southerners from their northern cousins.’
- ‘Do you dislike me because I talk like a southerner and listen to country music on occasion?’
- ‘As a native southerner, I confess to a skewed view of ‘faith-based’ administration of social policies.’
- ‘Hordes of Scots and Geordies will be descending on the city for Royal Ascot at York as southerners stay at home, advance ticket sales have revealed.’
- ‘Northerners are more cautious and suspicious than southerners.’
- ‘Was the system of tariffs more injurious to southerners than, say, an income tax or a property tax?’
- ‘The Festival is coming, and with it legions of southerners clogging up Edinburgh's hippest restaurants and bars.’
- ‘But I never cease to be amazed by the stunning ignorance of southerners of our great city.’
- ‘Mr Andrews pledged he will put his northern customers first and will only be sending southerners his surplus stock.’
- ‘In six years, southerners would be entitled to a referendum to determine whether they wanted to form their own state.’
- ‘Jazz music was certainly at its finest last Sunday as an array of musicians came together to give southerners a night of jazz they would not soon forget.’
- ‘In the past six months, southerners have been voting with their feet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.