One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The region of South America comprising the countries of Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile.
- ‘This will bring three dramatic outcomes for Brazil and its neighbors in the Southern Cone.’
- ‘The relationship with Chile, and the other Southern Cone countries, went into a deep freeze in the remaining months of Kissinger's term as Secretary of State - and under President Jimmy Carter as well.’
- ‘In 1939, the US defence perimeter was extended to Brazil and northern South America but did not include the Southern Cone.’
- ‘The two bright spots left in Latin America, Chile and Mexico, are still little affected by the crisis in the Southern Cone.’
- ‘I found the map of the Southern Cone particularly striking, for it shows how limited Creole control was over vast extents of territory.’
- ‘Hence, in all three countries of the Southern Cone, liberalization has coincided with greater inequality in income distribution.’
- ‘Archbishop Gregory Venables, of the Southern Cone, warned that the 70-million - strong Anglican communion was now in imminent danger of schism.’
- ‘Washington, meanwhile, made it clear that he was not coming with any offers of new credits or any proposed solutions to the economic crisis that is gripping virtually all of the region's Southern Cone.’
- ‘As if Argentina's energy problems were not dire enough, its travails have spilled over to other segments of the Southern Cone.’
- ‘The Southern Cone includes Chile and the common market countries of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay.’
- ‘Central America will not even obtain the prominence within the hemisphere that other larger Latin American countries could achieve, especially those in the Southern Cone.’
- ‘Mexico was not a country that absorbed large numbers of immigrants, unlike the Southern Cone which absorbed hundreds of thousands of workers and refugees from Europe.’
- ‘In Latin America, there is a history of efforts to bring together economies in the Southern Cone, in the Andes, and in Central America.’
- ‘Uruguay is on the southeastern Atlantic coast of the Southern Cone of South America, bordering Argentina to the west and south and Brazil to the north.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.