Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Toward the southeast.‘he walked southeastward from the river’
- ‘A two-storey semi-circular arc of accommodation embraces a green public space which looks south-eastwards over the river to the endless landscape.’
- ‘The River Tigris rises in Turkey and flows south-eastwards for 1200 miles, before merging with the Euphrates and eventually flowing into the Persian Gulf.’
- ‘On 19th January 1991, crude oil from five bombed oil tankers moored off the Mina Al-Ahmadi oil terminal and nearby oil pipelines in Kuwait produced a slick extending south-eastwards over 1,500 km².’
- ‘The tendency for approaching cold fronts to approach the Cape and then be steered somewhat south-eastward will persist therefore.’
- ‘The 74-year-old space is open again after a two-year-long project to move it south-eastwards by 66 metres and to completely redecorate it.’
- ‘During the 12th and 11th centuries BCE, Thracians settled not only on the peninsular mainland and the Mediterranean islands, but also moved south-eastwards into Asia Minor.’
- ‘Turning south-eastward, we dived at High Rock the following day before crossing back into Thai waters and retracing our route to Phuket via Richelieu Rock and the Similan Islands.’
- ‘Tropical cyclone ‘Bobby’ carried copious amounts of rainfall south-eastwards across the desert areas of Western Australia in February 1995.’
- ‘The British had subjugated large parts of India, bringing, it was thought, some forty million people under their rule, and the Russians were pushing south-eastwards overland into Central Asia.’
- ‘Descend south-eastwards, down the steep heather slopes, taking a route on the western side of the burn.’
- ‘It has been suggested that a central authority should construct huge reservoirs on the Ganga and Brahmaputra and link these two mighty rivers with canals, thereby diverting surplus waters south-eastwards into the Mahanadi.’
- ‘Over the centuries, the topography altered as the lagoon slowly migrated south-eastwards.’
- ‘Already a blob of warmer Pacific water has started extending south-eastward towards the South American coast and it is this water that is expected to reach Ecuador by the end of the year.’
Situated in, directed toward, or facing the southeast.
- ‘Palaeocurrents in these formations are again variable, with a northward and south-eastward component.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.