One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Leaven for making bread, consisting of fermenting dough, typically that left over from a previous batch.
- ‘Injera is similar to a Greek pita or a tortilla made from sourdough and soda water which makes for a chewy pancake-like texture.’
- ‘Also an organic farm, it produces cheddar cheese from its own chemical-tree milk, and makes sourdough bread from organically grown grain, leavened with natural sourdough.’
- ‘They make their bread with sourdough because they have no baking powder.’
- ‘Bread dough is made with high-protein flour, leavened with yeast or sourdough, and kneaded with water to develop the gluten, yielding a characteristic spongy appearance and chewy texture.’
- ‘It involves two types of sourdough starter: konini, which is quite sweet, and sourdough, which is quite tangy.’
- 1.1 Bread made using sourdough leaven.
- ‘First up was the pea soup with quail egg and chervil; next came the warm tartlet of baby leeks, lamb's lettuce and summer truffles; this was followed by foie gras and toasted sourdough.’
- ‘Serve with plenty of warm bread to dunk; sourdough is a good option as it has a bit more texture than a French baguette.’
- ‘The bread basket included rye, sourdough, and a light pumpkin bread.’
- ‘The thick slabs of sourdough take a while to cook, but, as owner Jim points out with a grin that is equal parts pleasure and surprise, nobody seems to mind waiting.’
- ‘If your loaf is a true San Francisco-style sourdough then all the better.’
- ‘I serve eggs over easy, sourdough or rye, omelettes, pancakes and French toast to those that happen to find their way into our little joint.’
- ‘But sit them on a piece of sourdough, with new potato salad, crème fraîche and plenty of seasoning, and they are fantastic.’
- ‘The bread basket had a few slices of a tan sourdough and a two little twin loafs of a wonderfully crusty, narrow bread whose air pockets even seemed to carry flavor.’
- ‘If you don't care for whole-wheat bread, sourdough is a good alternative because it's also sturdy and naturally low in fat.’
- ‘Derek had made grilled cheese on his signature sourdough and vegetable stir-fry with carrots, broccoli, parsnips and burdock!’
- ‘Other sandwiches are served on rolls, wraps, sourdough and seeded rye.’
- ‘And she ordered the same thing every week: tuna on sourdough, a garden salad abundant with sliced tomatoes, and a cup of black coffee with a few ice cubes on the side.’
- ‘The latest foodie enthusiasm, after extra virgin olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, is the not-so-humble loaf, and the only loaf to be seen with is the Poilâne sourdough.’
- ‘Found in local restaurants, their breads include rustic sourdough, farm, paisano, calamata olive, and pecan raisin.’
- ‘Grill the sourdough slices on both sides, and rub one side lightly with the garlic.’
- ‘The bun looked like sourdough, light-coloured and dense, but was apparently a ciabatta.’
- ‘Creamy St Marcellin from a proper cheesemonger is the stuff to ooze over a slice of crisply toasted sourdough.’
- ‘Even sourdough, rye and pumpernickel are often actually colored and flavored white-flour breads.’
- ‘A great steak sandwich combines thinly cut steak, roasted red peppers, onions and spicy mayonnaise between slices of supple sourdough.’
2North American historical An experienced prospector in the western US or Canada; an old-timer.
- ‘It is a land of sourdoughs and cheechacos - the first, the veridical Alaskans, who sport gruff beards, wear carhartts, and fed the yeast in their dough (hence their names) straight since the gold rush of 1907.’
- ‘The old sourdough sure did have a way with words.’
- ‘He was a revered 1960's pararescueman who once stared down a bear in the California woods, just like the bear-wrestling Alaskan sourdoughs of legend.’
- ‘His paintings preserved the traditions and activities of the Eskimos, the sourdoughs and the dogsleds of Alaska's ‘romantic period’ between the gold rush and the oil boom.’
- ‘Eielson, located in the middle of the state in a flat expanse of land surrounded by mountains, offers a lot of extremes that can make life a bit trying at times, even for sourdoughs who've lived there for decades.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.