A program written in a language other than machine code, typically a high-level language.
- ‘It would seem the shared source program is meant to attract smaller companies.’
- ‘Since it's an open source program, you can download a free copy here.’
- ‘But beyond the freely available code, the license for an open source program must give users the freedom to modify the code as well as to redistribute a program as a component of another software package.’
- ‘That highly-unpopular policy is now ended, and the open source program is available to all, not just selected partners.’
- ‘Since it is an insistently closed source program - and one that additionally uses a proprietary protocol - we have no way of verifying its security.’