One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large spoon with a round bowl, used for eating soup.
- ‘One can play metal teaspoons, tablespoons, soup spoons, and wooden spoons.’
- ‘Some carrots and onion are also thrown in during the steaming with the white wine and as you get near the bottom of the steamer dish you see the reason for the supplied soup spoon.’
- ‘Some of the several hundred A-list invitees were employing huge soup spoons to slather the stuff onto blinis in one of the many living rooms of his mansion.’
- ‘Using a sharp paring knife and a soup spoon, remove the seeds in the center and discard.’
- ‘Wendy had bowls and soup spoons laid out, and gracing the center of the table was a large round of crusty bread, still warm from the oven.’
- ‘Then my mother took a soup spoon, loosened the mass of cream-colored seeds that clung to the cavity and scooped them into the garbage pail.’
- ‘The fish were sent out with heated plates and a new set of cutlery: a knife and three-pronged fork to replace the soup spoons.’
- ‘We were expected to eat the ‘Chinese-spiced coconut creme brûlée’ with a Chinese soup spoon, despite the thick layer of uncaramelised sugar under its hot blackened crust.’
- ‘Our piscivorous friends lapped them up, although we did manage to pilfer a few, and we took turns at dipping bread into the aromatic broth before diving in with a soup spoon to savour every last drop.’
- ‘Using a large soup spoon, form six potato dumplings, coat each with breadcrumbs, and set aside on a parchment-lined sheet pan.’
- ‘The noodles are presented in large stone bowls, and the soup spoons are wooden ladles.’
- ‘They also use the same chopsticks/spoon for all of the meal, which saves on washing up, but it's not very appetizing when you've got to eat a fruit yoghurt with the your fish soup spoon.’
- ‘An ice cream scoop or strong soup spoon works well to scoop out the flesh.’
- ‘To finish the dish, using two soup spoons, form 12 quenelles with the reserved mushrooms and set aside.’
- ‘Once we were seated, our waitress brought us amuse-bouches in Japanese-type soup spoons: it was a garbanzo bean purée topped with tapenade (olive paste).’
- ‘Some of the noodles fell from the Chinese soup spoon and onto the table.’
- ‘If you've ever bought a motorized soup spoon or a self-cleaning bowling ball, you know that some things just weren't meant to be complicated.’
- ‘The table is set with chopsticks, bowls, soup spoons, soy sauce, vinegar, and condiments.’
- ‘Mention must be made of the fact that a correct butter knife is supplied, as well as excellent (almost dribble proof) soup spoons.’
- ‘My soup spoon was halfway to my mouth when my dad said the word ‘divorce’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.