One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of a movie studio with acoustic properties suitable for the recording of sound, typically used to record dialogue.
- ‘I wanted the movie to feel realistic, especially as I don't do well in the office or on a sound stage.’
- ‘With catering services, scenery builders, production companies and editors all under one roof, the studio has become more than just sound stages.’
- ‘Filming involved some work on a Hollywood sound stage and the use of miniatures, but most of it took place in Lahaina on the Hawaiian island of Maui.’
- ‘The music and ambient noise are mixed well across the sound stage, never taking too much attention from the discussion on screen.’
- ‘The characters come and go so quickly that you would think there was a revolving door between the casting office and the sound stage!’
- ‘I mean, this was shot on a sound stage in California.’
- ‘The proposed media complex includes recording studios, a sound stage, production offices and learning centres and is expected to be open within three years.’
- ‘Hitchcock stands on his sound stage, looking around for inspiration.’
- ‘Speaking roles require skilled actors and directing; scenes that portray actual events require sound stages, expensive locations, props, and costumed extras.’
- ‘Filming lasted about twelve days and was all done on a sound stage at our production studio.’
- ‘If we have the players and the composers we most certainly do not have a sound stage properly equipped to produce screen music to the highest quality.’
- ‘First there is a courthouse and across from it a theatre and then a bakery and a coffee shop; not to mention the imposing plain-coloured sound stages (eight of them, in total) that look like airplane hangars.’
- ‘For instance, the view down Rue Saint-Honoré had to be 200 metres long, while the sound stage was only 40 metres wide.’
- ‘Northern Ireland does not have all the facilities available in the republic - it does not have sound stages, like those at Ardmore, and there are no post-production facilities.’
- ‘You could wander off to a sound stage and watch John Huston or Willy Wyler shooting a scene with Bogart or Hepburn or Peck.’
- ‘The film was shot on sound stages in Burbank, and partly in the real locations of Los Angeles itself, but many of the city sequences were models made in workshops.’
- ‘As well as 14 sound stages, there will be dressing rooms, workshops, a film museum, preview cinema, exhibition space and a restaurant.’
- ‘In January 1990, sound stages at Elstree Studios were block booked for two weeks.’
- ‘The development includes eight sound stages, production facilities, digital facilities and outdoor back lot areas.’
- ‘These wacky, often surreal numbers were shot everyplace from the local zoo to minimalist sound stages to colorful cardboard sets standing in for Bombay, London, Hell, or less identifiable realms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.