A rod used to measure the depth of water under a boat or in a ship's hold or other container.
- ‘They use a range of instruments such as sounding rods, echo sounders and theodolites.’
- ‘Sonar and sounding rods are relatively inexpensive and simple devices, but each has its own limitations.’
- ‘Shallow water bridge inspections are performed by State Inspection Teams using sounding rods and underwater cameras.’
- ‘He said that he would be surprised if Mr Philips did not look into the forepeak tank, or check the cargo sounding rod which would have satisfied him that her cargo tanks were empty.’
- ‘If you are using a sounding rod, sound the tank every 3 or 4 minutes until it is nearly three-fourths full.’