A wave of compression and rarefaction, by which sound is propagated in an elastic medium such as air.
- ‘Instead of sound waves, the team used a powerful laser pulse to create a bubble inside the water tank.’
- ‘When the diaphragm vibrates under the action of a sound wave, the current in the circuit varies due to the varying capacitance of the condenser.’
- ‘Ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves and magnetic resonance imaging uses radio waves.’
- ‘The bubbles grow in size until they are collapsed rapidly by the compression region of the sound wave.’
- ‘Pitch refers to the fundamental frequency of the sound wave produced.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.