One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The partial representation of the sense of a word by its sound, as in bang, fizz, and slide.See also onomatopoeia
- ‘Often use of such words of sound symbolism signal your competence in your target language.’
- ‘This research forms part of renewed research into the role that sound symbolism plays in language evolution.’
- ‘Etymologists are very aware of the part played by onomatopoeia and sound symbolism in creating new words.’
- ‘The area of sound symbolism and onomatopoeia is an interesting area for studying the production and interpretation of neologisms in language.’
- ‘Thus, the sound of words may be directly onomatopoeic or may give a less overt effect of sound symbolism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.