One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The partial representation of the sense of a word by its sound, as in bang, fizz, and slide.See also onomatopoeia
- ‘Often use of such words of sound symbolism signal your competence in your target language.’
- ‘Etymologists are very aware of the part played by onomatopoeia and sound symbolism in creating new words.’
- ‘The area of sound symbolism and onomatopoeia is an interesting area for studying the production and interpretation of neologisms in language.’
- ‘Thus, the sound of words may be directly onomatopoeic or may give a less overt effect of sound symbolism.’
- ‘This research forms part of renewed research into the role that sound symbolism plays in language evolution.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.