One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of music incorporating elements of rhythm and blues and gospel music, popularized by African-Americans. Characterized by an emphasis on vocals and an impassioned improvisatory delivery, it is associated with performers such as Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, and Otis Redding.
- ‘For unabashed lovers of real soul music, this album hits the spot - big time.’
- ‘The boys like soul music and reggae - Aretha Franklin, Desmond Dekker, Marvin Gaye.’
- ‘We also note the anniversary of the birth this week of Percy Mayfield, one of the great songwriters in American blues and soul music.’
- ‘He says that the project combines elements of '70s soul music with today's neo-soul sound.’
- ‘She revitalised soul music in 1992 by incorporating it with hip-hop beats.’
- ‘The emergence of ska, R&B and soul music into the mainstream brought a new breed of teenagers, the mods.’
- ‘It has been argued that punk rock was the Caucasian version of soul music, and if that's true, this CD is the perfect marriage of the two.’
- ‘Make no mistake, this is soul music of the highest quality.’
- ‘If you like soul music, gospel music, or any of the artists who contributed songs, you should check this out.’
- ‘Heavily influenced by 70's soul and funk, rare groove, disco and house the expertly selected mix offers up a vision of what modern soul music should be about.’
- ‘You could spend the next ten years listening to nothing but soul music from the 1960's and 70's.’
- ‘While spiritual and soul music are making a come back, protest music isn't as zealous or popular, especially not in urban India.’
- ‘For a fan of soul music, or any just plain good music, this album is at least worth a few listens, because it's just that damn good.’
- ‘Many of his poems have a rap-like beat and contain direct references to jazz, blues, spirituals, soul music, and black musicians.’
- ‘Together, they redefined dance music, merging the cold soundscapes of synthesized music with sweet soul music.’
- ‘Some will call it sleepy, but this is really soul music for insomniacs - music that doesn't send you gently into the good night so much as it makes you savour the silence.’
- ‘His brand of sweet, sexy soul music has taken America by storm in the past year, and now he's bringing it to Macalester.’
- ‘Equal parts gospel, soul and hip hop the result is a very sexy record indeed that is probably more a continuation of 60s and 70s soul music than groundbreaking r 'n' b.’
- ‘Today's hip hop music can be traced through it's roots of funk, jazz, and soul music.’
- ‘An important nerve in reggae's musical spinal cord came directly from African American rhythm and blues and soul music and the evolving folk music movement.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.