One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of music incorporating elements of rhythm and blues and gospel music, popularized by African-Americans. Characterized by an emphasis on vocals and an impassioned improvisatory delivery, it is associated with performers such as Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, and Otis Redding.
- ‘For a fan of soul music, or any just plain good music, this album is at least worth a few listens, because it's just that damn good.’
- ‘The boys like soul music and reggae - Aretha Franklin, Desmond Dekker, Marvin Gaye.’
- ‘Some will call it sleepy, but this is really soul music for insomniacs - music that doesn't send you gently into the good night so much as it makes you savour the silence.’
- ‘Make no mistake, this is soul music of the highest quality.’
- ‘She revitalised soul music in 1992 by incorporating it with hip-hop beats.’
- ‘He says that the project combines elements of '70s soul music with today's neo-soul sound.’
- ‘The emergence of ska, R&B and soul music into the mainstream brought a new breed of teenagers, the mods.’
- ‘His brand of sweet, sexy soul music has taken America by storm in the past year, and now he's bringing it to Macalester.’
- ‘It has been argued that punk rock was the Caucasian version of soul music, and if that's true, this CD is the perfect marriage of the two.’
- ‘Many of his poems have a rap-like beat and contain direct references to jazz, blues, spirituals, soul music, and black musicians.’
- ‘For unabashed lovers of real soul music, this album hits the spot - big time.’
- ‘If you like soul music, gospel music, or any of the artists who contributed songs, you should check this out.’
- ‘An important nerve in reggae's musical spinal cord came directly from African American rhythm and blues and soul music and the evolving folk music movement.’
- ‘We also note the anniversary of the birth this week of Percy Mayfield, one of the great songwriters in American blues and soul music.’
- ‘While spiritual and soul music are making a come back, protest music isn't as zealous or popular, especially not in urban India.’
- ‘Together, they redefined dance music, merging the cold soundscapes of synthesized music with sweet soul music.’
- ‘Equal parts gospel, soul and hip hop the result is a very sexy record indeed that is probably more a continuation of 60s and 70s soul music than groundbreaking r 'n' b.’
- ‘You could spend the next ten years listening to nothing but soul music from the 1960's and 70's.’
- ‘Today's hip hop music can be traced through it's roots of funk, jazz, and soul music.’
- ‘Heavily influenced by 70's soul and funk, rare groove, disco and house the expertly selected mix offers up a vision of what modern soul music should be about.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.