One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Used as a term of address or reference between African-American men.
- ‘This was an astute soul sister who had mastered the politics of the kinky power struggles and sleazy back room dealings.’
- 1.1 A man whose thoughts, feelings, and attitudes closely match those of another; a kindred spirit.
- ‘Nevertheless, I loved her; she was like my soul sister.’
- ‘‘Yeah, well, we're soul sisters,’ Tanya joked.’
- ‘And the sweetest thing for me, she's been a personal friend and soul sister.’
- ‘My soul sister Alysse tells a story about taking her mother to a punk show, as a way of educating her mother about what it was that her sister was getting into.’
- ‘In many respects they, and thousands of farmers and workers around the country, are soul brothers in the search for a new political representation.’
- ‘I just want to thank Faith and the wonderful Rossi for being something akin to soul sisters to me when it comes to this subject.’
- ‘Her compelling debut novel introduced readers to two fiercely independent soul sisters who embarked on a remarkable journey of self-discovery.’
- ‘Bett and Tash have found soul sisters in each other because they both love to cook and garden.’
- ‘She was the kind of person you meet and instantaneously you have a connection with them, some people say that would make them soul sisters.’
- ‘Darryn, Zammit and Schwartz are soul brothers, doubt it not.’
- ‘Some of his comments really make him sound like my soul brother.’
- ‘In truth, they were like soul brothers, one as mad as the other, both striving to haul their teams to victory.’
- ‘Ever since he first arrived at the station and met Conrad, they had been like soul brothers.’
- ‘This is my soul sister we're talking about here, I know her.’
- ‘Could she risk scaring her away and losing her soul sister forever?’
- ‘And he clearly didn't like the way people were talking about his soul brother Vladimir.’
soul brother/ˈsōl ˌbrəT͟Hər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.