One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in data processing) the process of sorting or its result.
- ‘Nowadays TNT Express delivers 3.3 million parcels, documents and pieces of freight a week to over 200 countries using its network of nearly 900 depots, hubs and sortation centres.’
- ‘Deliveries are heavier and take longer and there have been big changes to sortation.’
- ‘The product type is first identified by a vision sortation system, then automatically put away in one of 26 lanes.’
- ‘It is limited to 100 alphanumeric characters and is used for high-speed sortation.’
- ‘It also plans to enlarge its collection, disassembly and sortation site in Gloucestershire.’
Mid 19th century: from sort (verb) + -ation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.