One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sad and self-pitying.
sad, unhappy, miserable, dejected, disconsolate, forlorn, crestfallen, sorry for oneself, hangdog, abject, downcast, glum, gloomy, doleful, downhearted, despondent, melancholy, sorrowful, mournful, woeful, lugubrious, long-faced, depressed, despairing, desolate, wretchedView synonyms
- ‘If things don't work out the way you intended, there's no point feeling sorry for yourself; you get up, dust yourself down and get on with it.’
- ‘He waited for her, feeling sorry for himself and miserable with his own thoughts about how he had mistrusted her.’
- ‘As I once observed: ‘There's a real difference between feeling sorry for yourself and feeling your sorrow.’’
- ‘If you don't feel sorry for yourself in this world, who the hell will?’
- ‘The worst thing you can do at this stage is start feeling sorry for yourself, tell yourself you're feeling tired.’
- ‘The way I look at it, if you have a disability, then you can either lie in bed and feel sorry for yourself, or you get up and get on with it.’
- ‘I admit I did get depressed about it all but you cannot go through life feeling sorry for yourself so I am now concentrating on getting well so I can do more work for Charlotte's appeal.’
- ‘That makes him a great person to access when you're feeling sorry for yourself because you've lost your cell phone.’
- ‘It's easy to feel sorry for yourself, that's the easy option and it's not one that I've ever chosen.’
- ‘I don't want to see tears, stop feeling sorry for yourself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.