Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Absorption and adsorption considered as a single process.
- ‘Other solutes interact with aquifer solids through physicochemical processes known as sorption.’
- ‘These processes are known as sorption and desorption, and their effect on the concentration distribution in gas phase is the second term in Equation 1.’
- ‘Sorption of lipophilic compounds to cuticular waxes was up to one order of magnitude lower than sorption to cuticular membranes while sorption of the hydrophilic compounds was not measurable.’
- ‘Since both are nonlinear interrelated buffering systems, soil stability with regard to sorption and mobilization processes is liable to unpredictable, chaotic changes.’
- ‘Amino acid compositional patterns also indicated preferential sorption of basic amino acids, with positively charged nitrogen side chains, to the negatively charged aluminosilicate clay minerals.’
Early 20th century: back-formation from absorption and adsorption (see adsorb).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.