One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A widely cultivated cereal native to warm regions of the Old World. It is a major source of grain and of feed for livestock.
Genus Sorghum, family Gramineae: many species, in particular S. bicolor and its cultivars
- ‘Avoid planting corn or grain sorghum immediately adjacent to infested wheat fields.’
- ‘The corn leaf aphid can be found on corn, sorghum, wheat and barley in Nebraska.’
- ‘Use less nitrogen for corn or grain sorghum after soybean or alfalfa in rotation.’
- ‘Millet and sorghum are common grains available throughout northern regions.’
- ‘The main beneficiaries of the bill are US producers of corn, sorghum, barley, wheat soybeans, oilseeds, cotton and rice.’
- ‘The most common foods are beans, corn, peas, millet, sorghum, cassava, sweet potatoes, and bananas.’
- ‘Their main meals consist of a heavy porridge made of flour from such grains as millet, sorghum, or corn.’
- ‘They also eat grains such as Chinese sorghum, corn, millet, oats, and buckwheat.’
- ‘It is also easier to manage damage by grain-feeding birds on semidwarf cultivars of sorghum and pearl millet.’
- ‘Greenbugs feed on a variety of grass crops, including wheat, oats, barley, rye and sorghum.’
- ‘Brewing materials such as maize, sorghum and finger millet were in abundance in the area but were now being ferried to a neighbouring country.’
- ‘The staple grains are millets; 80% of Yemen's grain production is either sorghum or broomcorn millet.’
- ‘Most, but not all, top producers no-till grain sorghum into wheat stubble and soybean stubble.’
- ‘These grains include sorghum, soybeans, rice, corn, buckwheat and others.’
- ‘They grow maize, sorghum, cassava, sweet potatoes and also rear domesticated animals like goats, pigs and chicken.’
- ‘Most producers will opt for a spring planted crop such as corn, grain sorghum, proso millet, or sunflower.’
- ‘Instead, they grow grain sorghum and wheat with rest periods in between.’
- ‘The staple foods of the Hutu include beans, corn, millet, sorghum, sweet potatoes, and cassava.’
- ‘The major agricultural products are wheat, rice, barley, corn, sorghum, sugarcane, potatoes, and fruits.’
- ‘The major grain for consumption is maize, although in parts of the Zambezi Valley millet and sorghum are the principle grains.’
- 1.1US A syrupy sweetener made from a type of sorghum.
- ‘He farmed, cobbled shoes, bottled water and managed a sorghum mill.’
Late 16th century: modern Latin, from Italian sorgo, perhaps based on a variant of Latin syricum ‘Syrian’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.