A substance that has the property of collecting molecules of another substance by sorption.
- ‘Following this is an acid gas sorbent for collection of chemical agent acid gas by-products.’
- ‘It is used in many applications, such as in cosmetic formulations or as a low cost sorbent.’
- ‘This technique quickly removes water and nontarget compounds with magnesium sulfate and a primary-secondary amine sorbent.’
- ‘The system uses powdered sorbent to remove chemical agents from surfaces.’
- ‘The high surface area of the silicon dioxide makes it a natural sorbent for capturing more carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide.’
Early 20th century: from sorb take up by sorption on the pattern of absorbent.