One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large oceanic tern that is blackish above and white below, and breeds throughout the tropical oceans.
- ‘In fact, it would be a wonderful bird reserve since it also has the largest colony of sooty terns in Tonga, and perhaps Polynesia-Melanesia as well.’
- ‘He's talking sooty terns and now something about a glossy ibis he found some place unusual.’
- ‘I see thousands upon thousands of nesting sea birds: sooty terns.’
- ‘The sooty tern is whiter than black - white below and soot-black on top.’
- ‘Rich fish stocks make it the only avian rookery in North America for sooty terns, masked boobies and frigate birds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.