One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large oceanic tern that is blackish above and white below, and breeds throughout the tropical oceans.
- ‘In fact, it would be a wonderful bird reserve since it also has the largest colony of sooty terns in Tonga, and perhaps Polynesia-Melanesia as well.’
- ‘I see thousands upon thousands of nesting sea birds: sooty terns.’
- ‘Rich fish stocks make it the only avian rookery in North America for sooty terns, masked boobies and frigate birds.’
- ‘The sooty tern is whiter than black - white below and soot-black on top.’
- ‘He's talking sooty terns and now something about a glossy ibis he found some place unusual.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.