A black velvety mold that grows on the surfaces of leaves and stems affected by honeydew.
- ‘This drops to the leaves below and the black sooty mold develops.’
- ‘Often black sooty mold grows on the honeydew, but this mold can be gently washed off.’
- ‘This is sooty mold that grows on the honeydew that aphids excrete.’
- ‘The honeydew's stickiness and the black sooty mold that grows on it can make a mess of plants and anything under infested trees.’
- ‘Like aphids, they also excrete honeydew, attracting black sooty mold fungus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.