One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to, denoting, or characteristic of a biogeographical region including desert areas of the southwestern US and central Mexico.
- ‘The landscape in question is not Central Australia but the Sonoran Desert in Southern Arizona, USA.’
- ‘His grandfather had fled the shackles of peonage in the 1880s and homesteaded this tract of Sonoran desert.’
- ‘We want to make sure that our children do not have to go to a preserve to witness the joy of the unique and fragile Sonoran desert.’
- ‘However, the Sonoran region is characterized by great variability in annual precipitation, which is one of the most important factors affecting quail populations.’
- ‘I use Sonoran desert native plants: juniper berries, pinon gum, brittlebush gum (a yellow-flowered medicinal shrub that is sometimes used as incense in Mexican churches), and osha root.’
Late 19th century: from Sonora + -an.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.