Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The analysis of sound using an instrument which produces a graphical representation of its component frequencies.
- ‘I then inputted the vocalizations into a Macintosh computer and produced sonograms using the sound analysis computer program Canary 1.2.’
2another term for ultrasonography
- ‘Brain scans using Doppler sonography, conducted in 1999 in Germany at the University of Munster and the University of Dortmund, found that when non-musicians listened to music, the blood flow to the right hemisphere increased.’
- ‘It should be supplemented with trans-vaginal sonography and a recto-vaginal pelvic exam all done at the same time.’
- ‘In colour flow sonography, pulsed Doppler signals are used to produce the images.’
- ‘After sonography my condition was diagnosed as ‘choroidal haemangioma’.’
- ‘Recent studies using Doppler sonography and near infrared spectroscopy have shown increased perfusion of the middle cerebral artery in patients with chronic cerebrovascular disease given a single infusion of vinpocetine.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.