One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A buoy equipped to detect underwater sounds and transmit them by radio.
- ‘Handling sonobuoys on the deck and carrying sonobuoys on aircraft, especially helicopters, stresses the lithium-battery package.’
- ‘The most notable niche is that of sonobuoys, which are used to detect submarines and where Ultra has a greater than 50% market share.’
- ‘We were chasing an underwater target and having a good time, using sonobuoys before moving in for the kill with the dipping sonar.’
- ‘The Seahawks have been dropping new sonobuoys and recording the data for the AJAAC specialists to analyse.’
- ‘The ship can be used as a testbed for a range of naval systems including sonobuoys, small towed underwater systems, electronic warfare and the development of signature control technologies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.