One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A buoy equipped to detect underwater sounds and transmit them by radio.
- ‘The Seahawks have been dropping new sonobuoys and recording the data for the AJAAC specialists to analyse.’
- ‘Handling sonobuoys on the deck and carrying sonobuoys on aircraft, especially helicopters, stresses the lithium-battery package.’
- ‘We were chasing an underwater target and having a good time, using sonobuoys before moving in for the kill with the dipping sonar.’
- ‘The ship can be used as a testbed for a range of naval systems including sonobuoys, small towed underwater systems, electronic warfare and the development of signature control technologies.’
- ‘The most notable niche is that of sonobuoys, which are used to detect submarines and where Ultra has a greater than 50% market share.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.