One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loud explosive noise caused by the shock wave from an aircraft traveling faster than the speed of sound.
- ‘Four thunderous sonic booms shook the island about three minutes later.’
- ‘Israeli warplanes broke the sound barrier over Beirut, causing a sonic boom, while on the diplomatic front a succession of intermediaries urged Lebanese leaders to help restore calm.’
- ‘These shock waves are translated inside our ears into sound and are what are commonly know as sonic booms.’
- ‘There's also a supersonic jet with a hushed sonic boom for flying over populated areas.’
- ‘Those gray bushytails would hunker down at the sound of the sonic boom and not be seen for interminable periods of time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.