One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who writes popular songs.
- ‘Both singers delivered live versions of the song ‘All This Time’, written by Westlife songsmith Steve Mack, which McManus will now go on to release as a single.’
- ‘Where other songsmiths were personally flamboyant, he was fastidious, carefully barbered, turned out in the best suits he could afford.’
- ‘The former songsmith says that putting the book together required ‘a kind of writing I'd never done before… you can only write that ‘the birds perched’ so many times.’
- ‘They are all very talented musicians as well as songsmiths and pulled the songs off almost effortlessly.’
- ‘The only way to end this torture is either to suspend the singles chart over Christmas or ban songsmiths from making any reference to the day in question.’
- ‘Like most teenage songsmiths the songs were about imagined or unrequited love.’
- ‘Her skill as both a storyteller and a songsmith suggests an aversion to short-cuts and the easy way out.’
- ‘Another part is the cleverness of the songsmith himself.’
- ‘Tunesmith and songsmith aren't entirely parallel compounds, since in them the first element denotes the thing crafted rather than the material from which it is crafted.’
- ‘Another American, Pittsburgh-born, entered music in a more practical fashion, the first American to set himself up as a professional songsmith.’
- ‘A great songsmith and a careful performer, despite what he would have us all believe, Gough is not an interesting stadium prospect, especially when the set is 40 minutes long.’
- ‘There's none of that whiny abstract angst that the vast majority of post-Dylan songsmiths succumb to.’
- ‘When not indulging in childish grossout humor or overstuffing their tracks with studio gimmickry, The Faint still prove powerful songsmiths.’
- ‘George might have been happy to remain a jobbing songsmith and comic, but Beryl decided to make him a star.’
- ‘He assesses the development of major record companies and pop songwriting from the Tin Pan Alley songsmiths to rap, reggae, and rock composers and noisemakers.’
- ‘There was no room for the ambrosial tenderness of crooners and songsmiths that night.’
- ‘Scot songsmith Colin MacIntyre makes bold music about humbling experiences.’
- ‘Gabriel remains a songsmith who speaks from the heart and never fails to move.’
- ‘Overall, the disc's a triumph - it's a showcase of trophies and well-loved tracks written and performed by a strange crew of accomplished songsmiths.’
- ‘It's hard to imagine like-minded orchestral songsmiths Elliott Smith or Eric Matthews indulging themselves in the palpable sense of fun here without resorting to insufferable preciousness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.