One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A festival celebrating the traditional Thai New Year, held in April and marked by the throwing and sprinkling of water.
- ‘Yet during Songkran, large numbers of accidents occurred, many with incurring severe injuries due to people not wearing helmets.’
- ‘Songkran will be celebrated along with Lampang's unique Sa Loong Luang (silver bowl) festival.’
- ‘However, I would agree with anything that can be done to reduce the number of days involved in Songkran.’
- ‘It is disappointing to read just how Songkran has degenerated over the years.’
- ‘Currently, Songkran lasts generally around one week, depending upon which part of the country you are in.’
- ‘A grand rice-harvest procession took place along the main roads in Sriracha last Wednesday to celebrate Songkran.’
- ‘Norman spent Songkran in the wilds of Phnom Penh getting his batteries re-charged and he came out smoking.’
- ‘Water is the symbol of Songkran, the symbol of life, the symbol of innovation.’
- ‘On the eve of Songkran, the Bunker Boys sought relief at the always testing course at Treasure Hill.’
- ‘Last Songkran 575 people were arrested on charges of causing physical or emotional injury through the inappropriate use of water guns.’
- ‘The government intends to reduce road accident fatality rates by 15 % during this year's festival of Songkran.’
- ‘This year Songkran falls on Saturday, the year of the Snake.’
- ‘Nearly 10,000 foreign workers took part in a traditional Thai Songkran festival in Taoyuan yesterday.’
- ‘The Hard Rock Hotel Pattaya, well known for its fun parties, celebrated yet another Songkran in high style.’
- ‘After spending four days in Chiang Mai enjoying Songkran, I left for Pattaya to enjoy the sun and beach.’
- ‘With the arrival of Songkran many regular Bunker Boys deserted the water sodden streets and antics of Pattaya for more peaceful climes.’
- ‘With Songkran descending upon us, the regular scribe and a few others decided to head bush.’
- ‘The 600 or so souls that rush off to line up for reincarnation during and after Songkran should be enough to convince anyone of this fact.’
- ‘This year's Songkran was a great success and brought in hundreds of millions baht in much needed revenue to Pattaya businesses.’
- ‘Coming into town, we could see on the bus that people were enjoying an extended Songkran.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.