Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A set of related songs, often on a romantic theme, intended to form a single musical entity.
- ‘Instead of a choral work, however, the search engine turned up a song cycle of the same name by the American composer Lori Laitman.’
- ‘The orchestral song cycle Voices from the Sea, first heard & recorded in 1985, gives a unique CD compilation its title.’
- ‘Voice of the River Han is a song cycle for soprano and piano trio with Korean-influenced melodies and rhythms.’
- ‘Hoekman has composed a new song cycle for baritone and harpsichord called Suite Italiana, to be premiered by baritone Jerrold Pope in June.’
- ‘Somehow this music is as close to the Winterreise song cycle as anything else the composer wrote.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.