One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Other names for it are walking during sleep and somnambulism.’
- ‘Further information included the fact that the patient had no history of somnambulism (sleep walking).’
- ‘They are similar to other arousal disorders that occur during deep sleep, such as somnambulism and confusional arousals.’
- ‘At the same time, there are recent texts in which a representation of somnambulism seems fused with the image of vertical slumber.’
- ‘In somnambulism and somniloquy, a child sits up in bed with eyes open but is ‘unseeing.’’
Late 18th century: from French somnambulisme, from Latin somnus ‘sleep’ + ambulare ‘to walk’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.