One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wine steward.
server, waitress, stewardess, steward, attendantView synonyms
- ‘It paired perfectly with the sauternes suggested by the sommelier.’
- ‘Uniform extinguishes individuality, a man becomes a waiter, a sommelier, a maitre d' hotel.’
- ‘Never mind that the vast majority of vintners and tasters and sommeliers are men.’
- ‘The suave sommeliers (one of whom is Irish) will recommend exciting wines to match.’
- ‘Maybe it is the artisan I would rather not have to think about while the junior sommelier pours me champagne selected from an ice urn big enough for two small children to drown in.’
Early 19th century: French, literally ‘butler’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.