A wine steward.
server, waitress, stewardess, steward, attendantView synonyms
- ‘Maybe it is the artisan I would rather not have to think about while the junior sommelier pours me champagne selected from an ice urn big enough for two small children to drown in.’
- ‘It paired perfectly with the sauternes suggested by the sommelier.’
- ‘Never mind that the vast majority of vintners and tasters and sommeliers are men.’
- ‘Uniform extinguishes individuality, a man becomes a waiter, a sommelier, a maitre d' hotel.’
- ‘The suave sommeliers (one of whom is Irish) will recommend exciting wines to match.’
Early 19th century: French, literally butler.