Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
To a moderate extent or by a moderate amount.‘matters have improved somewhat since then’[as submodifier] ‘a somewhat thicker book’
slightly, relatively, comparatively, moderately, fairly, marginally, a shade, rather, quite, within limitsa little, a bit, a little bit, to a limited degree, to a limited extent, to a certain degree, to some extent, to some degree, in some measure, rather, quite, within limitsView synonyms
- ‘The claim to universalism is undone somewhat when at least half the world seems to be against you.’
- ‘It always brings a lump to my throat but some see it as somewhat imperialistic.’
- ‘The etiquette of whether one should assist or not assist blind people is somewhat unclear.’
- ‘You're away from the stage by some margin and in this case the music seemed somewhat far off.’
- ‘I lost a loved one in a fire and can relate somewhat, but in her case it was an accident.’
- ‘The odds are, shall we say, somewhat large, and the car was still there by the end of the evening.’
- ‘Are we saying that every woman has to look like a model or her worth is somewhat less?’
- ‘The handbrake looks very out of place and somewhat flimsy compared to the rest of the interior.’
- ‘Also this post would be rather dull, and somewhat limited if I did not quote the email.’
- ‘His was a somewhat turbulent childhood in which he knew both moderate wealth and poverty.’
- ‘A somewhat younger Robert can be seen in the arms of his mother on the far right.’
- ‘She went on to paint a somewhat lurid picture of her father's itinerant lifestyle.’
- ‘I was somewhat angry for what she said to me and my mother has always been able to do that.’
- ‘He looks a bit like a courier, somewhat out of place in the opulent surroundings.’
- ‘Matters were getting somewhat out of hand with those native to the city finding it hard to get a house.’
- ‘It occurs that a somewhat casual connection with reality informs much of this book.’
- ‘Besides, a later age is accustomed to having actors vary their birth name somewhat.’
- ‘The rest of the team, somewhat insincerely, told me to wrap myself up warm and get lots of sleep.’
- ‘Jenia's look of bitterness slowly melts away to be replaced by a somewhat puzzled look.’
- ‘Following the link took me to a page somewhat like this, which was all rather scary to say the least.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.