Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone secreted in the pancreas and pituitary gland that inhibits gastric secretion and somatotropin release.
- ‘In the pancreas, somatostatin acts a paracrine inhibitor of other pancreatic hormones and thus also has systemic effects.’
- ‘The peptide we have chosen for our study is sandostatin (also known as octreotide), a cyclic analog of the peptide hormone somatostatin.’
- ‘The hormones capable of altering the MMC include insulin, pancreatic polypeptide, somatostatin, glucagon, secretin, motilin, gastrin, cholecystokinin, and neurotensin.’
- ‘The secondary antibodies for insulin, glucagon and somatostatin were antirabbit polyclonal antibodies.’
- ‘They were focally positive for gastrin, somatostatin, and pancreatic polypeptide but tested negative for glucagon, serotonin, insulin, and inhibin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.