One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The production of recurrent and multiple medical symptoms with no discernible organic cause.
- ‘A few patients are seriously disabled through a long history of many unexplained symptoms, defined as somatisation disorder.’
- ‘It's one of a number of different somatoform disorders, the most serious of which is somatization disorder, a condition that is roughly 10 times more common in women than in men.’
- ‘However, a certain bias in Western psychiatry exists against somatization as an inferior way of dealing with emotions and intrapsychic conflicts.’
- ‘Relationships between family health and somatization and obsessive-compulsive symptoms were significant for women but not for men.’
- ‘The psychiatric disorders associated with somatization, specifically anxiety and depression, respond well to pharmacologic treatment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.