The use of certain volatile organic solvents as intoxicants by inhalation, e.g., glue sniffing.
- ‘The Fund, set up by her parents after her death, works with schools and youth organisations, raising awareness of the dangers of solvent abuse.’
- ‘He also conceded that amphetamines were still being traded in Bangkok's Klong Toey slum area, and that former amphetamines addicts were turning to solvent abuse in increasing numbers.’
- ‘Although some local youngsters are known to use the soft drug cannabis, glue or solvent abuse is not seen as a big problem in Ilkley.’
- ‘Nationally, more young people aged under 18 die from solvent abuse than from any other illegal drug.’
- ‘The issues raised by the Minister relate back to the tragic death of six young people due to solvent abuse, to the inhalation of substances.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.