One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting an Upper Palaeolithic culture of central and southwestern France and parts of Iberia. It is dated to about 21,000–18,000 years ago, following the Aurignacian and preceding the Magdalenian.
- ‘This Solutrean biface was found during excavation in the early 1900's in a rock shelter called Le Ruth.’
- ‘To Bradley, ‘there had to be some sort of historic connection’ between the Solutrean and Clovis peoples.’
- ‘Some scientists believe that the Solutrean peoples were responsible for much of the cave art in Europe.’
- ‘This Clovis spear shaft wrench was made first by the Solutrean people - found in France and Spain.’
- ‘Only Solutrean spear points from Spain and France had the same precise design of the American Clovis points.’
- 1.1as noun the Solutrean The Solutrean culture or period.
Late 19th century: from Solutré, the site of a cave in eastern France, where objects from this culture were found, + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.