One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The isolation of a prisoner in a separate cell as a punishment.
- ‘Tortured, held in solitary confinement and imprisoned for five and a half years, he refused the offer of an early release out of a sense of honour.’
- ‘Mike is presently held in solitary confinement in a federal prison facility without bail.’
- ‘This could have implications for the way prisoners are treated in police custody cells or in solitary confinement.’
- ‘She and her legal partners are expected to protest solitary confinements in a press conference today.’
- ‘For much of this time, he was held in solitary confinement in a tiny cell that he has likened to a grave.’
- ‘And David was held for months on end in solitary confinement with very little contact with other people.’
- ‘He spent much of his time in solitary confinement, in a prison condemned by the UN for torture.’
- ‘It was so called because it was entirely made up of individual cells for the solitary confinement of prisoners.’
- ‘They want to prevent the introduction of solitary confinement and achieve humane prison conditions.’
- ‘She could see certain parallels with prisoners in solitary confinement.’
- ‘He had spent three years in solitary confinement as a prisoner of war, and was aghast.’
- ‘A short but brutal period of solitary confinement in a nearby prisoner of war camp scarred him for life.’
- ‘I can well understand the mournful complaint of the prisoner in solitary confinement.’
- ‘There, the standard punishment was transfer to solitary confinement in the sensory deprivation isolation wing.’
- ‘The former civil servant has endured beatings, solitary confinement and death threats while in prison.’
- ‘He will spend Christmas and the New Year in solitary confinement in the Tokyo Detention Centre.’
- ‘He spent nearly three years in prison, sometimes in solitary confinement, sometimes doing hard labour.’
- ‘Was solitary confinement properly regulated and approved by the authorities?’
- ‘Surely solitary confinement for life is a horrible enough punishment.’
- ‘Through his church, he organized a group of men to visit prisoners in solitary confinement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.