One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The isolation of a prisoner in a separate cell as a punishment.
- ‘She could see certain parallels with prisoners in solitary confinement.’
- ‘They want to prevent the introduction of solitary confinement and achieve humane prison conditions.’
- ‘I can well understand the mournful complaint of the prisoner in solitary confinement.’
- ‘There, the standard punishment was transfer to solitary confinement in the sensory deprivation isolation wing.’
- ‘Mike is presently held in solitary confinement in a federal prison facility without bail.’
- ‘Was solitary confinement properly regulated and approved by the authorities?’
- ‘He spent nearly three years in prison, sometimes in solitary confinement, sometimes doing hard labour.’
- ‘It was so called because it was entirely made up of individual cells for the solitary confinement of prisoners.’
- ‘He will spend Christmas and the New Year in solitary confinement in the Tokyo Detention Centre.’
- ‘Surely solitary confinement for life is a horrible enough punishment.’
- ‘This could have implications for the way prisoners are treated in police custody cells or in solitary confinement.’
- ‘Tortured, held in solitary confinement and imprisoned for five and a half years, he refused the offer of an early release out of a sense of honour.’
- ‘She and her legal partners are expected to protest solitary confinements in a press conference today.’
- ‘For much of this time, he was held in solitary confinement in a tiny cell that he has likened to a grave.’
- ‘Through his church, he organized a group of men to visit prisoners in solitary confinement.’
- ‘And David was held for months on end in solitary confinement with very little contact with other people.’
- ‘He had spent three years in solitary confinement as a prisoner of war, and was aghast.’
- ‘He spent much of his time in solitary confinement, in a prison condemned by the UN for torture.’
- ‘A short but brutal period of solitary confinement in a nearby prisoner of war camp scarred him for life.’
- ‘The former civil servant has endured beatings, solitary confinement and death threats while in prison.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.