A solid mixture containing a minor component uniformly distributed within the crystal lattice of the major component.
- ‘If the two metal atoms are about the same size and have the same crystallographic structure, then the two metals may form a solid solution.’
- ‘Their catalyst is a solid solution of zinc sulfide, copper indium sulfide, and silver indium sulfide.’
- ‘The latter generalization appears to work well for small molecules confined in an amorphous solid solution or in a crystal matrix.’
- ‘Martensite is a supersaturated solid solution of carbon in iron which has a body-centred tetragonal structure, a distorted form of bcc iron.’
- ‘Two or more isomorphic substances sometimes crystallize together to form a solid solution with a singular geometric configuration.’