One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volcanic crater emitting only sulfurous and other gases.
hollow, bowl, basin, pan, hole, cavity, pocketView synonyms
- ‘Most of the mountains are clastic stratovolcanic sediments (ashes and tuff), and the abundant solfataras and fumaroles, many of which are still active, are the last phases of the volcanism.’
- ‘Hydrogen sulfide and steam belch from these fumaroles or solfataras located on the floor of Hawaii's Kilauea Caldera.’
- ‘Other solfataras and fumaroles have produced a plethora of sulfates, and it is plausible that additional sulfates occur at El Desierto.’
- ‘In contrast to P. capillare, no D. lanuginosum plants were observed outside of active solfataras.’
- ‘This mountain is capped by several castellated masses of basaltic lava, much weather-worn and decomposed by the acid vapours evolved from the surrounding solfataras.’
Late 18th century: from the name of a volcano near Naples, from Italian solfo ‘sulfur’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.