One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A squirrelfish that is typically bright red in color.
Several genera and species in the family Holocentridae
- ‘In the cracks and overhangs, small schools of black-bar soldierfish hung out.’
- ‘Great swarms of bigeyes were shoaling on the reef next to swarms of soldierfish, blue-striped snapper and black-sided horse-eyed jacks.’
- ‘The reef is teeming with fish, ranging from small blennies hiding in barnacles to shoals of grunts and soldierfish.’
- ‘Red soldierfish blend into the colourful backdrop of encrusting sponges on the wreck of the Corveta va Ypiranga, a 60m dive at Fernando de Noronha.’
- ‘Richelieu also features numerous ledges, crevices and small caverns, providing shelter for squirrelfish, soldierfish, copper sweepers, and over twelve species of moray eels, including the rare golden moray.’
- ‘Bright red blue-lined squirrelfish loiter, thinking they're unseen, in every shadowy overhang, while even redder soldierfish stay well inside the caverns.’
- ‘The predominant species are similar to those outside the lagoon at Mafia Island, a variety of bigeye, soldierfish, snapper and trevally, with more solitary wrasse, parrotfish, butterflyfish and small grouper closer to the reef.’
- ‘Blackbar soldierfish protect the entrance to the engine room and several species of snapper lie motionless in protected areas.’
- ‘As this undersea Argonaut cavorted amidst hordes of angel, parrot, trigger, soldierfish and more, this novice couldn't have had a better instructor.’
- ‘Chris took me to a small cave where a shoal of upside-down soldierfish patrolled the entrance, and pointed out all the small crustaceans inside.’
- ‘Fifteen minutes southeast of Boracay, Crocodile Island has a reef where divers can explore many small channels harbouring squirrelfish, soldierfish, cardinalfish and various wrasse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.