Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tool used for melting solder and applying it to metals that are to be joined.
- ‘A soldering iron wasn't mentioned for disassembly.’
- ‘My laptop had a problem, and I actually managed a hardware repair myself, which actually required me to use a soldering iron.’
- ‘It's an awfully small area to work with if you don't have a professional soldering iron.’
- ‘I had a go at it with a soldering iron, hooked it up to a synthesizer, and it played the drums for me.’
- ‘It looks as if a juvenile twisted some wires together and then just jammed a soldering iron against them.’
- ‘In this process they learnt to use power drills, hack saws and soldering irons.’
- ‘Having started from scratch in 1983 they claim to have the most comprehensive range of butane powered soldering irons and heat tools available worldwide.’
- ‘After all this you are probably inspired to go grab your soldering iron and your little screwdrivers and make a mess of your mainboard in a spree of overclocking joy.’
- ‘I bought a couple of pots and some wire from an electronics shop in Swindon, got the soldering iron out, and soon had the beasty going.’
- ‘If you are the kind of person who is at home with a screwdriver, a soldering iron, electronic components and PCBs, then this is the book for you.’
- ‘‘We use soldering irons, heat tools and many other things to create the pieces,’ said Mrs Crellin.’
- ‘I asked Kara if she had a soldering iron and some spare electronic components.’
- ‘Later, investigators will say the explosion that ripped the new house apart began the instant the tip of the soldering iron reached incandescence.’
- ‘Seal the nylon edges using a 15-watt soldering iron, hot knife or stencil knife to melt the fibers.’
- ‘By stripping the laptop down to the motherboard, you can use a fine-tipped soldering iron to repair the fractured connections.’
- ‘Now, turn on your soldering iron, and tin all of your stripped wires.’
- ‘Applying the soldering iron to the wires where they are soldered to the Centronics connector and pulling gently should be enough to undo the wires from the unwanted connector.’
- ‘Little puffs of smoke drifted up from the table as we shyly learned to wield a soldering iron.’
- ‘I also packed a toolkit and a soldering iron just in case there was trouble.’
- ‘They can though be welded back together by the use of a lighter or a soldering iron.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.