One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tool used for melting solder and applying it to metals that are to be joined.
- ‘I asked Kara if she had a soldering iron and some spare electronic components.’
- ‘By stripping the laptop down to the motherboard, you can use a fine-tipped soldering iron to repair the fractured connections.’
- ‘Later, investigators will say the explosion that ripped the new house apart began the instant the tip of the soldering iron reached incandescence.’
- ‘After all this you are probably inspired to go grab your soldering iron and your little screwdrivers and make a mess of your mainboard in a spree of overclocking joy.’
- ‘Having started from scratch in 1983 they claim to have the most comprehensive range of butane powered soldering irons and heat tools available worldwide.’
- ‘I had a go at it with a soldering iron, hooked it up to a synthesizer, and it played the drums for me.’
- ‘I bought a couple of pots and some wire from an electronics shop in Swindon, got the soldering iron out, and soon had the beasty going.’
- ‘A soldering iron wasn't mentioned for disassembly.’
- ‘Applying the soldering iron to the wires where they are soldered to the Centronics connector and pulling gently should be enough to undo the wires from the unwanted connector.’
- ‘They can though be welded back together by the use of a lighter or a soldering iron.’
- ‘My laptop had a problem, and I actually managed a hardware repair myself, which actually required me to use a soldering iron.’
- ‘It's an awfully small area to work with if you don't have a professional soldering iron.’
- ‘I also packed a toolkit and a soldering iron just in case there was trouble.’
- ‘If you are the kind of person who is at home with a screwdriver, a soldering iron, electronic components and PCBs, then this is the book for you.’
- ‘In this process they learnt to use power drills, hack saws and soldering irons.’
- ‘‘We use soldering irons, heat tools and many other things to create the pieces,’ said Mrs Crellin.’
- ‘Little puffs of smoke drifted up from the table as we shyly learned to wield a soldering iron.’
- ‘Now, turn on your soldering iron, and tin all of your stripped wires.’
- ‘Seal the nylon edges using a 15-watt soldering iron, hot knife or stencil knife to melt the fibers.’
- ‘It looks as if a juvenile twisted some wires together and then just jammed a soldering iron against them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.