One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An installation or area of land in which a large number of solar panels are set up in order to generate electricity.
- ‘A solar farm could begin sprouting on about half of the Pine Street landfill as early as this fall.’
- ‘Ultimately, a large amount of the sun's energy could be harnessed through "solar farms" and used to power all our energy needs, the researchers predict.’
- ‘We simply cannot rely on the intermittent outputs of wind or solar farms to overcome any future shortfall in electricity generation.’
- ‘This new high power technique could of course result in smaller solar farms, or higher energy output from existing systems.’
- ‘"A solar farm 100 miles by 100 miles would be enough to displace the fossil-fuel consumption of the U.S."’
- ‘More importantly, the more customers that are lined up to buy clean energy, the more wind turbines and solar farms can be built in the future.’
- ‘In addition, he said such countries must be persuaded to invest more in research and development that will allow for the identification of more ecologically-friendly fuel sources, such as hydrogen fuel cells, nuclear power plants, and solar farms.’
- ‘The situation also fueled protests by provincial farm groups against using prime agricultural land for solar farms.’
- ‘At Lingara, the sappers are building new houses, a health clinic, a larger water tower, and a solar farm to ensure 24-hour power.’
- ‘In the spot where the old Robert Mueller airport used to be, the city of Austin is building, among other things, a solar farm made of these contest-winning, 16-foot-high "sunflower" style solar collectors.’
- ‘The proposal to locate the solar farm on 300 acres in East Hawkesbury, an hour's drive southeast of Ottawa, sparked local controversy.’
- ‘The solar farm is the earliest tangible part of Abu Dhabi's Masdar City, a $22 billion project designed to be the world's first zero-carbon-footprint, zero-waste settlement.’
- ‘If the conversion of solar energy to electricity could be made more efficient by a factor of 10, large solar farms in six areas of the globe could provide all of the world's required electricity.’
- ‘This material could be used to send electricity over great distances, such as from solar farms in the southwest to New York City.’
- ‘But the cost of maintaining a solar farm as compared to that of a coal generated power plant is enormous.’
- ‘They are already spending 250 m on more than 2,500 solar photovoltaic panels to build the world's largest solar farm near the small town of Moura in eastern Portugal.’
- ‘Indeed, solar power is more likely to flourish as a distributed resource, rather than through massive centralized "solar farms".’
- ‘Currently the world's largest solar farm is the 12-megawatt Erlasee solar park in Germany.’
- ‘It had proposed to build a solar farm on 300 acres of prime agricultural land to generate 30 megawatts of electricity.’
- ‘Unlike a conventional power station, which doesn't produce any juice until it's completed, a solar farm can in theory begin financing itself long before the last dish is up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.